Tomorrow I fly to Ireland and tonight I'm stressing about getting work done, bills paid, birds cared for and, mostly, how to get nearly three weeks of gear into a 33-pound bag. Has there ever been a more compelling case for the development of a transporter? The stingy weight limit is thanks to the Dublin-Cork commuter airline, Ryanair, which last week became internationally notorious for announcing their intention to charge passengers for use of the bathroom. The bathroom? I may be using my bladder to carry socks.
I suspect this spectacular destination - the lighthouse property at Crookhaven (see http://www.crookhavenlighthouse.ie/index.html) - will not be done justice by photos. Nonetheless, I'm trying to squeeze my Nikon DSLR into the 22-pound carryon Ryanair allows (including purse, by the way - what? my purse alone weighs 20 pounds!).
Peggy, our generous host and benefactor, said that her friend was charged €300 ($400) for overweight luggage. I'll let you know if I blow my entire travel budget before I've lifted off the Logan tarmac.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment